M1 vocational visa is for foreign students intending to pursue vocational training but excluding language studies.  Vocational schools, formerly called trade schools, offer programs such as the following:

  1. Plumbing,
  2. Electrical wiring,
  3. Stone masonry,
  4. Automotive repair,
  5. Carpentry and welding,
  6. Culinary arts,
  7. Fashion design,
  8. Teaching,
  9. Nursing,
  10. Medical assistants,
  11. Computer network administrators,
  12. Landscape designers,
  13. Web-site designers; and
  14. New “green” trades.

M1 vocational visa applicants must prove they or their sponsors have enough funds to cover their educational and living expenses in the US and a strong intent to return to their home country.  Normally, the sponsor of a M1 vocational visa should be an employer or an immediate family member such as parents, brother or sister or other family members.  M1 vocational visa applicant’s cases will be scrutinized more closely by US Embassy officers if their sponsor is not an employer or immediate family member due to the high number of applicants attempting to commit student visa fraud.

M1 vocational visa applicants must first apply to a qualified school in the US and get accepted. The school will send the “I-20I-D Form” after the applicant is accepted.  I-20I-D Form is a confirmation form for foreign students, which includes a summary of estimated costs per year for attending the school.  Applicants can apply for a M1 vocational visa after receiving the I-201-D Form from their school. If you would like our assistance preparing a J1 exchange visa, then please email us a copy of your I-20I-D Form.

Self Help

US State Department - M1 Vocation Visa

Foreign Affairs Manual - M1 Vocational Visa

USCIS - M1 Vocational Visa