B1 temporary work visa is for a foreign (non-US) company having a contract with a US client to send employee to perform services in the US for a period of less than 6 months.  B1 temporary work visa holder must continue to be paid by their foreign employer while in the US.

Generally, only applicants with university degrees or equivalent work experience (ie twelve years) in a specialist field as set out below can qualify:

  • Scientists;
  • Engineers;
  • Programmers;
  • Research analysts;
  • Management consultants;
  • Journalists;
  • Accountants;
  • Lawyers;
  • Nurses; and
  • Other professionals with a bachelor’s degree or higher.

B1 temporary work visa applicant’s job must meet one of the following criteria to qualify as a specialty occupation:

  • Bachelor’s or higher degree or its equivalent is normally the minimum entry requirement for the position;
  • Degree requirement for the job is common to the industry or the job is so complex or unique that it can be performed only by an individual with a degree;
  • Employer normally requires a degree or its equivalent for the position; or
  • Nature of the specific duties is so specialized and complex that the knowledge required to perform the duties is usually associated with the attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree.

B1 temporary work visa applicants must meet one of the following criteria to qualify to accept a job offer in a specialty occupation:

  • US bachelor’s or higher degree required by the specific specialty occupation from an accredited college or university;
  • Foreign degree that is the equivalent to a US bachelor’s or higher degree in the specialty occupation;
  • Unrestricted state license, registration, or certification which authorizes the B1 temporary work visa applicant to fully practice the specialty occupation and be engaged in that specialty in the state of intended employment; and
  • Education, training, or progressively responsible experience in the specialty that is equivalent to the completion of such a degree and have recognition of expertise in the specialty through progressively responsible positions directly related to the specialty occupation.

Note we do not provide assistance with job recruitment or placement for finding a job for B1 temporary work visa applicants. B1 temporary work visa applicants must have a job offer from a US employer willing to sponsor the visa before contacting us for assistance.

Self Help

US State Department - B1 Temporary Work Visa

Foreign Affairs Manual - B1 Temporary Work Visa

USCIS - B1 Temporary Work Visa