H3 trainee visa is for applicants coming temporarily to the US as either of the following:

  • Trainee to receive training other than graduate or medical education training, that is not available in the alien’s home country; or
  • Special education exchange visitor to participate in a special education exchange visitor training program for children with physical, mental, or emotional disabilities.

H3 trainee visa applicants must be invited by an individual or organization for the purpose of receiving training, other than graduate or medical education training, in any field including but not limited to the following:

  • Commerce;
  • Communications;
  • Finance;
  • Government;
  • Transportation;
  • Agriculture; or
  • Other professions.

H3 trainee visa classification is not intended for U.S. employment. H3 trainee visa is designed to provide an applicant with job-related training for work that will ultimately be performed outside the US. There is a quota on the number of H3 trainee visas. No more than 50 H3 trainee visas may be approved in a fiscal year.

A US employer or organization sponsoring a H3 trainee visa must provide the following:

  • A detailed description of the structured training program. The description should indicate the number of hours per week the trainee will be in classroom training and the number of hours per week that the trainee will be involved in on-the-job training;
  • A summary of the trainee’s prior training and experience;
  • An explanation of why the trainee needs the training;
  • A statement explaining why the training is unavailable in the trainee’s home country;
  • A statement explaining how the training will benefit the trainee in pursuing a career outside the United States; and
  • A statement explaining who will pay for the training without the petitioner permanently employing the trainee.

The US employer or organization sponsoring a H3 trainee visa must also explain the following:

  • Training the alien will receive;
  • Staff and facilities where the training will occur; and
  • Trainee’s participation in the training.

Further, the US employer or organization sponsoring a H3 trainee visa must show that the trainee is as follows:

  • Nearing the completion of a baccalaureate degree program in special education;
  • Has already earned a baccalaureate degree in a special education program; or
  • Has experience teaching children with physical, mental or emotional disabilities.

Self Help

US State Department - H3 Trainee Visa

Foreign Affairs Manual - H3 Trainee Visa

USCIS - H3 Trainee Visa